Sunday, January 17, 2010

Welcoming Cat

"Welcoming Cat" is a small cat sculpture, that is believed bringing good luck to the owner in Japan. We actually call them "Manaki Neko" in Japanese. ("Neko"="Cat")
Here, you may find out more detail information from Wikipedia, if you are interested in :)

Here's some of my Welcoming Cat collections.

Ta-da!!

I was given this one from my father few years back ago, and I think this is almost just like the classic "Welcoming Cat" looks.
In welcoming cat design, a raised right paw supposedly attracts money, and a raised left paw attracts customers.
So... this one is raising his left paw, which means attracting customers.....
Huh...... maybe, in my case, I will be getting more kitty friends visiting to my blog????!!?!?!
Hip, hip, huurah!!


I don't even remember where this one is coming from.........
It's little tiny one, about only 2 inches tall.
Which paw is this one raising??


And I found this cute one from my last trip to Japan.
It is made of ceramic, has a very lovely decoration around the neck with traditional Japanese "Kimono" fabric, and even came with a small red pillow that it can sit on.
I would say, it is not quite a traditional welcoming cat style, which is usually with a beckoning paw. But instead of that, it is bowing.
I thought it's a very polite kitty :)


Of all above, this one is my VERY favorite "Welcoming Cat".
I got this special welcoming cat about a year ago.
Since then, I've been getting countless good luck!!!!!



Priceless!!!!! Sorry! Not for sale!!


Hoshi

7 comments:

  1. You are indeed priceless! But the welcoming cats are cuties too....hello back welcoming cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about Welcome Cats. This was so great to learn! Your collecting is very cute -- I'm going to check out the Wikipedia page now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our mom has a welcoming cat...it has a raised left paw so it's welcoming customers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had read something about welcoming cats recently. Yours are so cute. I am with you, Amanda is my favorite too.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these welcoming cats. I never knew what they were called. Of course Amanda is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All!
    Thanks for your comments, and I was quite happy to introduce welcoming cats to all you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me!!
Your comments always make us happy and purrr.

Hoshi and Amanda